Skip to content

Laundry On Sundaes

Every beginning is only a sequel, after all, and the book of events is always open halfway through.

I just felt tall for the first time in a lonnnnnng while.

I was in an elevator full of Chinese people :D

In other news, I got up at 6 am this morning, out of mt own free will. I guess I’m still a little jet-lagged after all. Halfway through the night my mom insisted on turning off the AC and opening the window :( It is freakishly hot and humid here and I’ve been sweating buckets the whole time and apparently the weather lately has been relatively cool (33 degrees Celsius today).

Beijing Map

Ok, onto more travel-y stuff. Today was my first full day in Beijing, a hazy, cloudy, misty day. In the morning I went out for a bit with my mom. Just around the neighbourhood, nothing big. There was this sandalwood museum nearby so we went to take a look. Decided not to go in after discovering the admission was 50 RMB (about 7 USD or 8 CAD.. yes I know it doesn’t seem like very much but for a little museum of sandalwood furniture it’s not worth it). So we just took some pictures outside of it.

P1070250The entrance to the museum.

P1070254 Me and a lion!

Then we went to a nearby park where they had a lake and street lamps with solar panels on top and lots of little pagodas with people playing Chinese chess or playing their erhu or singing revolutionary songs in choir.


Then we went to this commercial street lined with shops and I got a t-shirt for 2 RMB. That’s about 30 cents. Yep. Gotta love it.

In non-travel news, we are still being followed by the quarantine people. Oh yes. We got a mysterious phone call today from the local hospital. Turns out they’re sending a couple of nurses to our place to check our temperature and give us some stuff. So promptly at 2 in the afternoon, 2 nurses (in masks, of course) showed up at our door and handed out 2 thermometers, 20 masks, and a bottle of hand sanitizer. And a notice that began with “Welcome back to the motherland! It must be nice to be with family and friends again. However…” followed by the scary swine flu stuff. My mom and I are both feeling fine.

Torrential downpour just now, which cleared out the air a bit and made it a bit cooler. Tomorrow I’m going to visit some of the Olympic venues (the Bird’s Nest and the Water Cube). I’m super excited even though I am a year too late :)

PS: My dad saw the total solar eclipse. His city is one of the best viewing sites in the country. And he didn’t even take pictures :(


Tags: , ,

%d bloggers like this: